Sanbanushi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SRPG 2010 - Roles

2 posters

Go down

SRPG 2010 - Roles Empty SRPG 2010 - Roles

Post  KevinBlaze Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:56 am

So here's the idea: Have 5 or 6 disciplines which are things like duelist or whatever that powers can be divided under. Then have the classes be flavorful things like Ninja, Black Mage, Medium, Warmain, Runic Knight, etc. Each getting access to 2 disciplines, making our version of multiclassing so there's lots of ways to get access to abilities, but people can still be different.

I think it showed in our playing that even with no aim for 4e style combat role protection or even having combat roles, the powers are varied and numerous enough that everyone's contribution can still feel unique, which is the aim. Role protection matters in so far as it allows everyone at the table to contribute differently, that's the good part.

So we need to divide powers into 5-6 disciplines . Ideas? Then have names for those classes, and special powers for the classes.
KevinBlaze
KevinBlaze
Rain Cloud

http://kevinblaze.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

SRPG 2010 - Roles Empty Re: SRPG 2010 - Roles

Post  KevinBlaze Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:41 am

Although I really like the combat disciplines, and having the classes be 'multiclass' of the disciplines for power selection, its possible to consider going a more dnd 3e route and having the classes have unique write ups for abilities, and just have overlap on the lists so that multiple classes get Dimension Door or Kid Icarus or whatever. Thing is I want the flavor of the selectable classes to matter, its great for new player and old player RP hooks. Although probably not much more rigid than 3e paladin.

Another idea would be a weird hybrid and to use something like the Pokemon RPG powers system.
Start from Koumei's post about 60% down the page

Basic idea is there are a larger number of lists than 6, and those lists might have overlap. Then classes power lists are composites of two lists. It's harder to make the flavor more distinct I think under this approach just in virtue of it having more lists.

Something else we should make a list for is the coolest flavorful roles we should make sure to make as playable concepts.
Some of the basic ones would be:
Alchemist
Black Mage
Druid
Gadgeteer
Medium
Monk
Necromancer
Ninja
Runic Knight
Warmain

I don't want to get all kitchen sink here, but if we can come up with the 10 or 15 class/roles to be represented we can make the combat disciplines around those some. On the subject of non combat powers instead of having a separate 'non combat class' or 'sub class' thats independent of the combat class, im thinking the sub classes should be based on which primary class you have, or have 1 big list with no sub classes for each of the primary classes.
KevinBlaze
KevinBlaze
Rain Cloud

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade8813 Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:04 am

KevinBlaze wrote:Although I really like the combat disciplines, and having the classes be 'multiclass' of the disciplines for power selection, its possible to consider going a more dnd 3e route and having the classes have unique write ups for abilities, and just have overlap on the lists so that multiple classes get Dimension Door or Kid Icarus or whatever. Thing is I want the flavor of the selectable classes to matter, its great for new player and old player RP hooks. Although probably not much more rigid than 3e paladin.
I don't understand the difference between having a Arcane Trickster that's takes Ninja/Black Mage disciplines, and a Arcane Trickster that happens to have access to Ninja abilities and Black Mage abilities.

On the subject of non combat powers instead of having a separate 'non combat class' or 'sub class' thats independent of the combat class, im thinking the sub classes should be based on which primary class you have, or have 1 big list with no sub classes for each of the primary classes.
I don't see any reason to make sub-classes be based on primary classes. None of the primary classes strike me as a better or worse face person, or better or worse Macgyver, etc.
Wade8813
Wade8813
Cloudless Day

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinBlaze Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:51 pm

I think the relevant difference for the Arcane Trickster would it be better for there to be an ability list that has the Arcane Trickster, Ninja, and Black Mage type of abilities with no mention of BMs or Ninja, like how Sorcs, Bards, Wizs in 3e have different lists with a bunch of overlap. The other way is for the abilities entry to read: "Arcane Tricksters select abilities from the Ninja and Black Mage lists." So there is an underlying connection between all the BM classes and Ninja classes.
KevinBlaze
KevinBlaze
Rain Cloud

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade8813 Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:36 am

I wouldn't bother making a separate class for the Arcane Trickster unless you plan to have abilities that are exclusive to that class.
Wade8813
Wade8813
Cloudless Day

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinBlaze Thu May 06, 2010 12:14 am

Wade8813 wrote:I wouldn't bother making a separate class for the Arcane Trickster unless you plan to have abilities that are exclusive to that class.

Thats exactly what I mean so that there are combat disciplines A, B, C, D, E
then there are classes:
1 A-B
2 A-C
3 A-D
4 A-E
5 B-C
6 B-D
7 B-E
8 C-D
9 C-E
10 D-E

So there are overlapping ability choices from the 5 combat disciplines, and classes 1-10 have unique abilities, but the abilities for 1-10 are preset, instead of freeform, so there's a core of flavor and expectation from what classes are capable of. Class defining abilities like Poof! and Chivalrous Challenge.
KevinBlaze
KevinBlaze
Rain Cloud

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinBlaze Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:57 pm

Another thing I wanted to note about there being no need for MMO style roles in that unlike an mmo if you are playing a tabletop game there's a much less significant need to build in a reason for people to be different classes, and to force multiplayer play since the latter is basically assumed and former is just kinda what people do anyway.
KevinBlaze
KevinBlaze
Rain Cloud

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down