Sanbanushi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feat Doctors without Borders

3 posters

Go down

Feat Doctors without Borders Empty Feat Doctors without Borders

Post  KevinBlaze Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:44 pm

The basic premise is as follows:

DnD Fighters feats don't scale to match higher level opposition: Mariliths, Balors, Mind Flayers, Wraiths... all these fun flying, incorporeal, DRriffic, instant kill spellcasters. Fighter feats add numbers; more crits, bigger crits, more damage, more attack rolls, more ac, etc. Even though from early levels they already had the biggest numbers. How BAB and the feats work, and the proliferation of minor bonuses, just runs counter to keeping people working in the same d20 number range.

So what the Fighter is missing is not simply more feats [which would in some way make him a little more powerful, and have less blank levels, cough lv5, etc], but better feats. Instead of a feat doing just a singular thing I was thinking itd be more interesting for them to be a kind of training program one has and will continue to be undergoing granting preset or a choice of powers at fixed intervals. There's a lot of ways to do this, but for now I'll present a few mix matched ones:

Feat: Basic Archer
Pwyuu Pwyuu
Lv1: Short Bow Prof [Or maybe something like Tier 1 bow prof]
Lv1: Precise Shot
Lv4: Point Blank Shot [+1d6 dmg within 30']
Lv10: Nonmagic bows you wield count as +1 magical as long as you wield them.
Lv13: Quivers you fire from magically refill

Feat: Metal Mario
Chink crink dink dink
Lv1: Heavy Armor Prof [How heavy armor should work may be its own question]
Lv1: DR 1/- [Maybe Metal Mario could be a 3rd ed rage-like power, but for defensive stuff, including allies like from Take the Blow, we want ppl to want friends :-)]
Lv1: Take the Blow 5': Immd. swift action take dmg for an ally within 5'
Lv4: DR 2/-
Lv4: Extra threatening: Bonus damage on AoOs
Lv7: DR 3/-
Lv10: DR 4/-
Lv10: Take the Blow 15'

Feat: Where's he get all those cool toys?
"Batman, Link, and now you too!"
Benefit: Able to pull out a variety of items and switch items at speed, and store things on your self at progressively more impressive rates until you still basically have your own item select screen via turning backpacks or simpler carrying devices into personal handy haversacks / bags of holding.

Feat: Ghost Stalker
Lv1: Favored Enemy [Undead] [Of course fav enemy and crits should apply to constructs, undead, oozes, etc.]
Lv4: Swift: Can See Invis for 1 min. Cooldown = 10 min
Lv7: Swift: Wielded weapons gain ghost touch for 1 min, Cooldown = 10 min.

Feat: Furious Warrior
Lv1: Rage [+1d6 melee dmg, +1 temp hp / char lv, +10' movement] for 1 min, cooldown = ? maybe x/day? [Will need to scale up by level to some degree]
Lv1: Endurance
Lv4: Battle Lust [deal dmg, restore some rage temp hp]
Lv7: Indomitable Will [May fortune reroll a will save] [I like the reroll mechanic over proliferation of tiny bonuses, even though it too can get out of hand]
KevinBlaze
KevinBlaze
Rain Cloud

http://kevinblaze.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Feat Doctors without Borders Empty Re: Feat Doctors without Borders

Post  Alfax Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:30 am

I always did like the scaling feat idea. And I do like most of this, especially the counter to invisibility. But I don't see anyway for a fighter to bring it to someone who flys without having to specialize in the bow.

Korohit wrote:Lv13: Quivers you fire from magically refill
I would like something more substantial here. Does anybody actually keep track of all the arrows they fire and then pay the one gold or whatever to get their next 20? I just assumed that it was taken care of and whenever we got town we just restocked. Because writing down every arrow you fire seems like a lot of unnecessary bookkeeping.
Alfax
Alfax
Sun

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinBlaze Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:37 am

Magically refilling quivers sure could come earlier.

As for counters to fly there are stalemate options like the RoW Fighter's Foil action, possibly powers that negate flying power or make things lose flying X rd.s from now [making them effectively have to land]. Or possibly limited time fly powers for the Fighter

Feat: Kid Icarus
Lv1: Double Jump Distance
Lv1: Can Feather Fall for # of rd.s = to Lv.
Lv4: Leap of the Clouds
Lv7: May Jump as part of movement, with out penalty, as if going up was like walking on the ground.
Lv10: Double Air Jump [Can end turn up in the air from a jump, then jump for movement next turn]
Lv13: Unlimited Air Jumps

Feat: Wing Clipper
Lv1: Favored Enemy [Fliers]
Lv4: Wing Clip - Small [Small flying creatures you deal dmg to Fort DC 10 + 1/2 char lv + cha or lose their flight in 3 rd.s]
Lv7: Wing Clip - Medium
Lv10: Wing Clip - Large

Another potential take on Wing Clip is hurting their maneuverability and fly speed, possibly building up to after multiple hits taking flight away.

Some other draft Feat Chains that I wrote last summer [some have already been brought up]:

Combat Expertise
Imp. Defensive Fighting // Disarm // Trip // Bull Rush // Sunder
Possibly choose 1 from a list at set intervals since they are all similar in power level, possibly good idea for similar feat chains

Ghost Stalker
Fav. Enemy Undead
Ghost Touch
See Invisible, Incorporeal

Ranger
+Track
F/R Traps
Favored Enemy

Survivor
+HP
Less Sleep / Food / Water
Suspended Meditation
Elemental Resistance

Warrior – Acrobatic
Prone Attack
Walk on water
+ on balance / athletics
Run on walls

Warrior – Agile
Dodge Attack powers
Mobility
Spring Attack
Weapon Finesse
Flank with self
+Speed

Warrior – Armored
+ Defense / DR
?IH Armiger type abilities? - taunts
Shield Bash, Imp. Bull Rush

Warrior – Furious
Take damage -> Rage
IH Berserker like abilities
Fast Movement
Endurance, Run speed

Warrior – Ranged
PBS
Precise Shot
Far Shot

Warrior – Two Weapon Fighting
As per 2WF
As per 2WD

Warrior – Unarmed
IUS
Increased US damage
?Flurry?
Imp. Grapple // Trip // Disarm
DR Penetration

Warrior – Unarmored
+Unarmored AC
Fast Movement
Deflect Arrows
Evasion
Uncanny Dodge

Weapon Specialization
Weapon focus and spec and hey I'm good with this/these weapon[s] type things
KevinBlaze
KevinBlaze
Rain Cloud

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade8813 Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:47 am

I like at least the way those feat chains are headed.

Of course, they also raise the Q of flying's half-cousin, Invisibility.
Wade8813
Wade8813
Cloudless Day

Back to top Go down

Post  Alfax Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:48 pm

Wade8813 wrote:Of course, they also raise the Q of flying's half-cousin, Invisibility.
Which question is that?
Korohit wrote:Feat: Ghost Stalker
Lv4: Swift: Can See Invis for 1 min. Cooldown = 10 min
Might want to have either the duration go up or cooldown go down on a per level basis. So they can be less effed against multiple invisible encounters.
Alfax
Alfax
Sun

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade8813 Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:17 pm

Which question is that?
The question of how Fighters deal with Invis (although it looks like Kevin came up with some ideas)

Might want to have either the duration go up or cooldown go down on a per level basis. So they can be less effed against multiple invisible encounters.
Actually, it would probably come down to the party sitting around until 10 minutes has passed, so they wouldn't be in trouble (although there will also be times when teammates might get impatient, and try to skip the waiting). Which is my problem with it - that it encourages sitting around for no real reason.
Wade8813
Wade8813
Cloudless Day

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinBlaze Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:52 pm

Definitely. The first phase of the draft just needs to try to throw out enough ideas [likely some overlapping a lot] to cover the bases that need to be thought of. Mostly I was brainstorming about things that fighters need outs against and what could do that potentially elegantly.

Waiting around is dumb. Having See Invis all the time also isn't a great idea. I'm thinking either a limit to how many times per day it can be done [Though it'd to be a big number, but not large enough to just do it after every cooldown]. Or have as a passive power that competes for passive power equip space.

Like I'm a level 8 character with 2 passive equip slots
Slot 1: See Invis
Slot 2: Evasion

Unequipped:
Mage Armor
Mage Blade
DR Aura

And it takes some time to change between these passive powers
KevinBlaze
KevinBlaze
Rain Cloud